Sunday, February 28, 2010

Second Life...why...


(not even the second life students came to class, image taken from RIT News article)


I like to think I usually look for the positive, but I'm having a hard time finding it for Second Life, or virtual worlds in general. I can see the value for architects and their customers, experiencing a building/park/etc. before it is built, understanding the details before making real physical structures.

But otherwise, I don't get it. And maybe that's caused I've never used it, I admit that.

Some institutions have begun using virtual worlds to demonstrate complex scientific machinery and technologies. But wouldn't video demonstration or pictures of the actual machinery be more beneficial...

Or virtual tours of their campuses, although isn't this covered pretty well with websites/pictures/videos of the actual campus? Some are experimenting with virtual worlds for the classroom, although (as far as I know) these platforms don't support PowerPoint and other tools commonly used by instructors.

Even when bringing together people from different geographic locations, it seems there's better ways to interact involving video conferencing, GotoMeeting, Skype, etc.

Please someone help me understand the benefits of virtual worlds???

7 comments:

  1. I agree with your point about better ways to interact, Andrew. I think its hard to communicate effectively enough through avatars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried Second Life yet either. This first life keeps me too busy to think about adding another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could help you understand those benefits, but I'm really not a fan of Second Life.

    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that maybe the benefit is that you can be whomever you like in Second Life. There are no preconceived notions about you based on looks or who your friends are. I'm reaching with that one, but could be onto something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't see any benefit to recreating a brick and mortar classroom in a virtual world.

    But I can see the benefit of creating things that can't be done anywhere else. If I could do a flythough of the Solar System or the atom, I would

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I am not exactly sure of the benefit involved either. I like to think about the virtual world as more of an enhancement to real interaction, but not one that is a replacement.

    I agree with Blogger on a Run, that second life presents the opportunity for you to be something different.

    People like the idea of trying a new experience and feel that virtually is the best way, that they are going to be able to accomplish this. Maybe there is some excitement around having the opportunity to be someone different and be a part of two different worlds?

    Matt, I think if I had an experience in second life, I would not feel that it actually happened. Not sure, if that makes sense, but I don't think the feelings/experience would be transferable for me. I think I would even feel weird talking about it with others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that for us, at this point in the adaption curve as well as the lifestage of the technology, the connection is inferior to in-person interactions. But I think that as the technology gets more and more advanced (more and more realistic) that it will become a normal way to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, especially with your point regarding communicating remotely.

    The Second Life technology may improve in future but at the moment it seems that video conferencing and audio conferencing would do a far better job. Especially if you're communicating for business purposes.

    ReplyDelete